Can an enlarged prostate cause infertility?
August 7, 2020
The prostate is a walnut-shaped and sized organ that resides below the prostate. Its role is to produce about 99% of the ejaculate, the carrier fluid for the of sperm (the remaining 1%), that joins up with the prostatic fluid. As one ages, the prostate continues to grow. This conditions is called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and it can cause urinary issues. Symptoms include pushing and straining to urinate, urinary urgency and frequency, and nighttime urination.
As the prostate continues to grow, it compresses on the urethra, causing obstruction of not only urine, but the ejaculatory fluids as well. This could potentially cause issues with fertility, especially if the male is 45+ years of age, when prostate enlargement begins in earnest. Coincidentally, medications to treat BPH or enlarged prostate, such as Flomax, Uroxatral, Alfuzosin, Tamsulosin, Terazosin, Hytrin, Proscar, and Finasteride can all contribute to male infertility. A great option for men who wish to have children, but also have enlarged prostate, is the revolutionary Urolift procedure, which can treat BPH without causing secondary infertility issues.
Virtual Visits Available
We offer both in-clinic and remote telemedicine consultations worldwide.
Our top-rated practitioners are available for remote telemedicine consultations across the state of Texas.