Giving Yourself a Penile Injection
April 21, 2023
Trimix is an erectile dysfunction treatment that involves self-administered penile injections. When injected, Trimix relaxes the smooth muscle and opens the blood vessels in your penis to allow for an erection. Patients using Trimix will want to administer it 5-15 minutes before sexual activity.
It can be intimidating to give yourself an injection, so keep reading to learn how to do it safely and swiftly.
First things first, here’s what you’ll need:
- Needle and syringe
- Alcohol wipes
- Sharps container
Next, you’ll want to prep for the penile injection. This includes washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water, getting the medication ready and finding a comfortable, well-lit place to administer your injection. Some patients find that they prefer to sit in front of a mirror. To locate an injection site on your penis, look for an area with no visible veins. It’s important that you inject into the side of the penis. You’ll then clean the site with an alcohol wipe.
Once you’re all set, here’s how to inject the Trimix in to your penis:
- Sitting or standing, rest your penis against your inner thigh. Hold the head of the penis with your thumb and forefinger, then gently stretch the skin towards your knee. Be careful not to twist the skin.
- Hold the syringe like you would hold a dart, between your thumb and fingers
- Insert the needle at a 90-degree angle, near the base of the penis. Though the needle should go in easily, you should stop immediately if it does not.
- Use your thumb to press down on the plunger and inject the medicine, counting to five as you do.
- Extract the needle and carefully dispose of it.
You’ll want to use a sharps container to dispose your needles. This is a hard-plastic container that can be found at most drugstores. If you don’t have a sharps container, you can substitute with another hard-plastic container like a detergent bottle. You’ll want a container that’s easy to drop a syringe and needle into, and one that needles won’t easily break through.
Make sure that you pick a different injection spot each time to prevent scarring.
If you experience any of the following after your injection, seek medical help immediately:
- Erection that lasts longer than 2-3 hours
- Pressure or severe pain (keep in mind, it’s normal to feel a slight burning sensation during injections)
- Scaring or cured penis
- Bleeding or bruising
Virtual Visits Available
We offer both in-clinic and remote telemedicine consultations worldwide.