Why Hydrate? The Benefits of Water
July 15, 2021
Summer is here and staying well-hydrated is a priority during these hot months.
Water is essential to the healthy functioning of the body. Almost all of the body’s major systems depend on water to function and survive. Water makes up 60% of the body’s total weight and 90% of the brain’s weight.
It is recommended to drink enough water in a day to support your body’s needs. Every day, you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements, which is why it’s important to continue to take in water throughout the day. 2.7 liters of water a day is recommended for women, and 3.7 liters of water are recommended for men.
Water works in your body in many ways:
- Helps prevent kidney stones
- Helps to prevent prostate and urinary tract infections
- Regulates body temperature
- Keeps the tissues in the eyes, nose and mouth healthy
- Protects body organs and tissues
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to cells
- Lubricates joints
- Lessens burden the on kidneys and liver by flushing out waste products
- Helps dissolve minerals and nutrients to make them accessible to your body
- Aids in weight loss
- Beats back fatigue
- Assists in digestion
- Hydrates skin, hair, nails
So during the summer months and all year round, keep your water bottle nearby and your water intake at the recommended amount to stay hydrated and healthy. Contact us at Austin Urology Institute for more information.
Virtual Visits Available
We offer both in-clinic and remote telemedicine consultations worldwide.