Can Constipation Cause Frequent Urination?
October 12, 2023
Constipation and Frequent Urination: Is There a Connection?
If you have occasional or regular bladder leaks, you may notice they get worse when you are constipated. For most people, this means going longer than 3 days without a bowel movement, but any point past comfort can increase your chance of bladder leaks. That is because when you are constipated, your colon begins to expand with waste and it begins to place more pressure on your bladder. This additional pressure can cause you to feel the sensation of needing to urinate more urgently and more frequently. In short, sometimes constipation causes frequent urination!
This is due to a condition called Overactive Bladder, also referred to as OAB. Unfortunately, it is very common for folks dealing with overactive bladder symptoms to avoid drinking regular water or fluids, which can lead to an increased risk of constipation.
Symptoms of Overactive Bladder
Typical symptoms of Overactive Bladder include:
• A feeling that you have to pass urine, urgently
• The need to pass urine often, day and night
• Urine leaks with the “got to go” feeling
In order to reduce OAB symptoms and avoid complications from constipation, here are great dietary additions:
• Eating plenty of fiber like whole grains, such as natural whole wheat bread, oatmeal, and bran flake cereals
• Legumes such as lentils, black beans, kidney beans, soybeans, and chickpeas
• Fruits such as berries, apples with the skin on, oranges, and pears
• Vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli, green peas, and collard greens
• Nuts, such as almonds, peanuts, and pecans
• Drink plenty of water to make your stools softer and easier to pass.
If you are experiencing signs or symptoms of an overactive bladder, we would are here to help at Austin Urology Institute. Please do not hesitate to call us at 512-694-8888 or schedule your appointment!
Virtual Visits Available
We offer both in-clinic and remote telemedicine consultations worldwide.